...being the blog of steve kirkendall egomaniac-about-town


Future of Mobile 2011

Future of Mobile panel. L-R: James Pearce, Brian LeRoux, Tom Hume, Petra Soderling and Dan Appelquist.

Last Friday I had the pleasure of attending Future of Mobile 2011. This fantastic one day event, held at London’s Mermaid Theatre, was packed to the rafters with top quality speakers flown in especially from around the world.

Over the course of the day, I learnt from Instagram’s co-founder Kevin Systrom, how it’s transformation from a previous product (Burbn) led to it’s fantastic success today; the wonderfully sweary Brian LeRoux of PhoneGap got through a lot of information in his detailed and informative talk about building cross platform native apps with HTML5 (I was really impressed by a really cool mobile dev debugger he’d created); Ribot’s Antony Ribot walked us through designing for different screen sizes (and how he’d turned his mother into an Angry Birds addict); Dominic Szablewski blew my mind with his HTML5 cross-platform games presentation (I spoke to him earlier about Flash’s future and he wasn’t optimistic – on the basis of his incredible presentation, I decided Adobe should be very afraid); Dave Verwer gave a great crash course on iOS development; Sencha’s James Pearce discussed the cross-platform mobile web, throwing up the day’s best statistic (38% of people admit to using their phones while on the toilet – the other 62% are liars); and finally the end panel (pictured above*) debated whether or not you should build a native or HTML5 app (conclusion: it depends).

Namedrop department: Over the course of the day, I managed to chat to some great people, all of them by chance. In the lunch queue, I chatted to the .net magazine team (Dan Oliver, Tom May and Oliver Lindburg) then later, when my conference buddy Jemma Mills and I were debating the merits of CSS3 vs Javascript for HTML5 mobile apps, Opera’s Bruce Lawson and Patrick H Lauke came up and put us straight. And I managed a quick one on one chat with Mr Carsonified himself, Ryan Carson, about Think Vitamin’s upcoming relaunch as Treehouse.

It was a brilliant, inspiration and informative day and I really can’t wait to attend another Carsonified event very soon.

* Left to right: James Pearce, Brian LeRoux, Tom Hume, Petra Soderling and Dan Appelquist.

Tags: mobile, apps